Well, now that 1.1.2 is released for quite some time now – why is the world not abuzz about upgrading to it? Mostly because – there is no reason to! Some say 1.1.2 sports better battery life while others say the iPhone performs faster (did it ever under perform?)!! For whatever reason, if you want to upgrade to the latest and still enjoy all the features (including unlock!!).Activating an iPhone 1.1.2 without iTunes is really a big deal because INdependence doesn’t support 1.1.2 yet and iDemocracy wasted some valuable hours due to poor or insufficent documentation! He did a great job with .Net F/W 3.5 but the app itself is too complicated – well Windows users have no other choice when it comes to 1.1.2.So, my current setup : iPhone 8GB, Cingular sim (no iPhone contract), Macbook (Leopard), 1.1.2 Jailbreak s/w from Conceited S/W, iTunes 7.4.2 and lots of patience 😉
- Assuming your iPhone is up and running on 1.1.1 with installer.app on it. Not on 1.1.1 yet, check this fastest guide now!
- (If you unlocked your iPhone using anySIM, please Virginize your iPhone before updating. It can easily be done by using unlocking tools from i.unlock.no. Just hit virginize for your firmware).
- Now, install OktoPrep under Tweaks 1.1.1 section in installer.app to prepare your iPhone to 1.1.2.
- Now update your iPhone to 1.1.2 from iTunes as usual. Don’t hit Restore, hit update instead 🙂 Don’t worry about any errors it spits out. If update fails, just see if your iPhone still has firmware 1.1.1 and OktoPrep installed (Very Imp). Then proceed with update from iTunes. (It should work this time).
- If your iPhone is still shown in Restore mode, then launch iNdependence 1.2.5 to kick the iPhone out of it.Your iPhone is updated to 1.1.2 if your iPhone shows the new activation screen with Emergency calls slider written in 3 different languages.
- Now comes the Jailbreak step which was complicated till now. Not anymore. Conceited Software made it so easy with the latest release of jailbreak software. All you have to do is launch jailbreak.jar and relax! Follow the on-screen instructions (Reboot the iPhone when told and voila : Your iPhone is activated!!). There is a Windows.bat(present in the jailbreak software you downloaded before) for Windows users which I didn’t try.
- Now that your iPhone is activated, time to unlock it. You already have installer.app showing if you came this far. You can unlock your iPhone using iphone-elite’s version of anySIM.
- As far as customization is concerned, we already have installer.app and almost all the apps are reported to be working just fine with 1.1.2 (Customize has an option for 1.1.2 inbuilt). There you go, comment in case of jubiliant victories/failures 🙂
p.s : I spent long hours figuring out the right procedures for activation and stuff but my aim is to save others from wasting their time!! Please support Conceited software and iPhone Devs to continue this journey 🙂