Redsn0w is a revolutionary way to jailbreak, activate, unlock an array of Apple’s devices based on iPhone 3.0 firmware. Devices like iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 1G/2G can easily be jailbroken, activated and unlocked (iPhone 2G – Automatic, iPhone 3G – Manually via Cydia & Ultrasn0w).
If you don’t want to go through the following steps and you just want the real deal, follow this guide rather wherein you can download the custom firmware file which should do the job for you!
The tool itself is so neatly packaged that there is not much left for you to figure out, just launch the application and follow the onscreen directions. All you have to do is download the following files to your computer (Windows or Intel based Mac) :
Step by step guide :
- Launch iTunes 8.2 and update to the latest firmware version 3.0, be it for your iPhone 2G,3G,3GS or iPod Touch 1G/2G
- Download Redsn0w package for your computer
- Also download bootloader packages 39_46 ONLY if you are using iPhone 2G and place them in the same folder where Redsn0w resides
- Launch Redsn0w on your computer and click on ‘Browse’ button
- Locate the firmware file on your computer (It should be on your computer since you updated to 3.0 via iTunes). If you updated on a different machine, download the firmware file from the downloads section.
- On Windows, make sure ‘View hidden files’ option is enabled. It should be found at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\
- On a Mac it can be found at ~/Users/Username/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/
- Click on ‘Next >’ button followed by another ‘Next >’ button
- Make sure your iPhone / iPod Touch is turned off and is connected to your computer and click ‘Next >’ button
- Now for the infamous DFU mode. Don’t freak out if you fail the first time, it is quite common. Watch the DFU steps video to make sure you get it right the first time. Follow the onscreen hints to get to the DFU mode.
- After successful completion of the 3 requisite steps (Power, Home+Power, Home), let it do its thing. Give it a little over 7 minutes for the process to complete.
- Congratulations, you have successfully activated, jailbroken (unlocked*) your device!
Unlocked refers to iPhone 2G only since it automagically unlocks iPhone 2Gs. iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS needs manual software unlock software found in Cydia. Follow this guide for step by step instructions to install Ultrasn0w Software Unlock. iPod Touch doesn’t need unlock step since it was never locked to begin with 😉